Nandi Hills or Nandi Betta is a popular weekend gateway from Bangalore. It is located approximately 60 km from central Bangalore in Chikkaballapur taluk of Kolar district of Karnataka. It is an ancient hill fortress in southern India. Nandi hills is home to various kinds of flora and fauna where one can get some relaxation from busy Bangalore life. The hill resembles a sleeping bull. This is one of the reasons that it is called Nandi hills. It is 4851 feet above sea level and that makes the place really awesome.
How to reach Nandi Hills
There are several ways to go to the hills including public buses. But it is highly recommended to go there by your own means. One can drive by there own or can hire a taxi to go there. Almost every tours and travels provide a personalized cab to the hills. Usually people go there by bike or car. Both are equally good option depending on your personal comfort. Roads are very good even in the villages. You will not find any difficulty in driving. While driving on the hills you need to be little careful like you need to go little slow and honk every now and then. You don’t need to be a professional driver to drive on the hills. Just little caution is enough. You can also go there by cycling as lots of people do that as well.
Best time to go Nandi Hills
There is no specific time to go to Nandi hills. The temperature of the hills does not reach to extremes. The weather will slightly vary with time. Like you might find lots of cloud during rainy season and fog in winters. But anytime is good to go there. Hills open at 6 AM and it is the best time to be there. So you need to plan accordingly that you can reach there by 6 AM. Then you can enjoy mesmerizing view of sun just coming out of the sky. If you are driving from Bangalore you will find lots of people going there. If you are a biker then you can join a group of biker.
Things to do at Nandi Hills
Although there is nothing specific to do there as this place is best known for relaxation. But still there are many spots you will surely love to explore. Some of them can be listed as:
- Experience the beautiful Sunrise: First you should go straight to the sunrise point and take your spot to see the amazing sun rise. The sun will come out from the clouds slowly and you will love to experience that amazing view. This is the main attraction of the hills.
- Nehru Nilya: This is the place where Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru used to stay, now a guest house of the horticulture department of India. The guest house maintains beautiful park which you can enjoy.
- Children’s Playground: Here you can sit and relax. You will find very lively here as many people will be there around you.
- Temples: Hills have many temples which can be visited. there are temples dedicated to Sri Bhoga Narasimha, Sri Ugra Narasimha and Sri Yoga Narasimha.
- Historical Monuments: There are places of historical significance. Like there are jail, horse way, secret escape way, sarover and so on which you can enjoy.
Although there are many things to see, but the main thing to enjoy here is nature and find some peace away from your busy life.
Basic amenities at Nandi Hills
All the basic amenities are available there at the hills itself. There is one restaurant named Mayura Pine Top which serves basic eatables there. The service starts early in the morning and you can have breakfast here. Also there are many other small shops are available. A paid toilet is also there on the hills. So you will not find difficulty there. Just beware of monkeys. They will take away your eatables and will enjoy in front of you.
Stay at Nandi Hills: Experience Redefined
Although the hill is open for public from 6 AM to 8 PM only but there is an option to stay there. As Nehru Nilya has been converted into guest house, You can book your stay there and enjoy the hills. As there are limited rooms available there you need to book in advance. Bookings can be made directly through the Horticulture Department under bookings section. Don’t worry about the security and all as there is enough security on the hills. Following things you need to keep in mind.
- You need to drive your vehicle to the hills and not the usual parking there.
- Order your food early and have some eatables and water with you.
- Roaming around the hills is not allowed after 10 PM.
- Liquor is not allowed on the hills.
- Everyone staying there must have an ID card.
- Carry sufficient cash as there is no ATM there.
Now you need to believe me that this would be an amazing affair to stay at the hills. You will experience the amazing hills in a whole different way. The night at hills will be scary but that would be a different experience altogether. Also you don’t need to drive early morning to go there and you will be there before others come. You will enjoy the sunset as well which is equally beautiful as sun rise. And if you plan to visit during rains then rain will add the charm to your visit. But you need to be extra careful during rains for obvious reasons.
So do take time from your busy life and enjoy the natural beauty at its best. Also while coming back you can have fresh grapes on the way. Which you can enjoy as per your taste.